Gardening Articles: Landscaping :: Yard & Garden Planning
Backyard Dreams (page 2 of 2)
by Patricia Acton with the NG
Allow Yourself to Dream
If you're lucky enough to have some outdoor space to call your own, you might as well really make it your own, filled with your personal dreams made real. After all, where else can you have this kind of freedom? Make yourself comfortable in that outdoor spot and make a list of things that would enhance your outdoor living. How about:
- A built-in barbecue grill, with lights for night-use, to make outdoor entertaining more convenient and pleasant.
- A really large picnic table, so you can invite the whole gang over for a relaxed, informal backyard meal.
- A series of raised beds filled with wonderful topsoil (the kind that practically guarantees all your gardening efforts will turn out successful) to concentrate your gardening efforts just the herbs, vegetables, and flowers that really please you.
- A sandbox for kids to play in. Or a "secret garden" for teddy bear tea parties, under the shade of the tree at the rear of the yard.
- A small recirculating fountain to add the charms of falling water to a summer-warm garden.
- A big white canvas market umbrella to provide shade from the noonday sun.
- A swing hanging from that sturdy limb? A treehouse for the adults to use as a retreat from the kids?
- How about a swimming pool? Or a hot tub?
Obviously, some of your dreams are going to be more feasible than others. The trick is to start with the "do-able" ones and then plan and budget for the more extravagant additions. Armed with your master dream plan, you can rest assured that eventually you'll have an outdoor space custom-designed to your own desires.
And what could be better than that?
Photography by National Gardening Association