Gardening Articles: Care :: Plant Care Techniques
Harvesting Onions (page 2 of 2)
by National Gardening Association Editors
Here are the basics of curing:
- Sun dry for just a short time.
- Cure just the onions you'll store; separate the soft, young and thick-necked bulbs and use them first.
- Cure thoroughly in a warm, well-ventilated area away from direct sun.
- Don't crowd onions during curing; give them room to breathe.
- Onions are ready to store when the skins rattle and the roots are dry and wiry.