Gardening Articles: Flowers :: Annuals
A Rose Guru's Garden (page 3 of 3)
by Ann Hooper
10 Plants This Eastern Gardener Craves
Five that are tender (to overwinter indoors in Boston):
- Butterfly bush (Clerodendrum ugandense 'Blue Butterfly')
- Cuphea llavea 'Bat Face'
- Mandevilla amabilis 'Alice Du Pont'
- Coral fountain (Russelia equisetiformis)
- Salvia guaranitica
Five that are hardy (can survive Boston's winter outdoors):
- Anchusa capensis 'Blue Angel'
- Perennial geraniums, including Geranium versicolor 'Snow White'
- Geum chiloense 'Mrs. Bradshaw'
- Daylily 'Nairobi Night'
- Reblooming iris 'Misty Twilight'
Ann Hooper is a consulting rosarian for the American Rose Society, and is the past president of the New England Rose Society.
Photography by All-American Selections (top) and Suzanne DeJohn/National Gardening Association