Northern & Central Midwest
Find Good Information About Biological Controls
Midwest Biological Control News is an informative newsletter about using biological organisms for controlling pests. It has good information for the home gardener as well as an index by plant and by pest. New issues are no longer being published but back issues are available online.
Emerald Ash borer
Emerald ash borer is becoming a major reason for ash (green, white, and black) death, particularly in Michigan. However, if not controlled, it will move into the rest of the Midwest. Here's what you can do to help protect trees:
1. Keep healthy ash trees as free from stress as possible by watering and fertilizing;
2. Remove any infested trees or wood;
3. Don't take ash to campsites for burning;
4. Learn to recognize the beetle and the damage;
5. Contact your local extension service if any evidence is seen.
For more information go to: http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/eab/index.html