Home Gardener Award
Environmental stewardship begins at home. While it's important to encourage stewardship and sustainability on a large scale, you can also have an impact through the decisions and practices you adopt as an individual. One way to do this is to incorporate sustainable, ecologically sound practices into the gardening and landscaping you do. Creating, maintaining, and enjoying an environmentally-friendly landscape, garden, or outdoor living space benefits you, your family, the community, and all the life that shares the environment with you. It may not have the global impact of government actions on greenhouse gas emissions, but it can make your own corner of the world a better space, both in the present and in years to come.
Espoma and the National Gardening Association want to recognize and reward the efforts of gardeners who are working to protect and improve the environment. That's why weve created the Environmental Stewardship Award. This year we'll select five home gardeners from across the country who are using the most effective, interesting, and innovative practices in their gardens and landscapes to help protect the environment and make their corner of the world a better place.
The Espoma Environmental Stewardship Award is provided annually by The National Gardening Association to five home gardeners nationwide who voluntarily demonstrate outstanding environmental practices and initiatives.
The Home Gardener Awards will be announced on September 16, 2013.
Who is eligible to apply?
Home gardeners 18 years and older living within the Continental United States are eligible to apply. Applicants should be actively engaged in environmentally conscious practices within their own garden. Below are six (6) categories of environmental-friendly practices common to home gardens. Applicants will be asked on their application to select from these categories and describe examples of environmental stewardship practices used in their home gardens and landscapes that relate to these categories:
Five (5) winners will be selected on September 16th.
- First place winner will receive $2,000 gift certificate to an Independent Garden Center of their choice.
- Second place winner will receive a $1,000 gift certificate to an Independent Garden Center of their choice.
- Third place winner will receive a $1,000 gift certificate to an Independent Garden Center of their choice.
- Fourth and fifth place winners will receive a $500 gift certificate to an Independent Garden Center of their choice.
To apply, please click the “Home Gardener Application.” Clicking this button will open another window in your browser. Please fill out the application to the best of your ability. Applications can be saved and returned to at a later date. Submissions will be limited to the first 200 applicants.
Applications open on January 15th, 2013, and close on July 31st, 2013. All applications must be submitted by July 31st at 11:59 p.m. (PST). The winners will be announced on September 16th, 2013.
Once you have opened the application it can be saved and returned to at a later date.
- We strongly suggest opening a word processing document to draft your essays prior to submitting your answers. This will help to limit spelling and grammatical errors, and will allow you to save a copy of your application content.
- You will be required to submit 2 digital photos. Photos must be in one of the following formats: JPEG, GIF, PNG, PDF.
- Only online applications will be accepted. Please do not send in printed applications; help us save trees, time, and energy!
We will notify you about the status of your application via email by September 16th, 2013. A list of winners will also be posted from this page on the NGA website. Awards will be distributed in September of 2013.
Awardees may be required to submit additional photos of their home gardening space. Selected home gardeners may be interviewed by National Gardening Association, Espoma, or media members. Select Home Gardeners may be asked to submit a home video of their garden features. Home Gardeners may also be asked to allow NGA, Espoma and/or media to visit their home garden.
No purchase necessary. Purchase of a product does not improve your chances of receiving an award.