The beautiful morning glory-like flowers belie the toxicity of Datura stramonium, also known as thorn apple and jimsonweed.
It's easy to be lulled into a false sense of security in our own backyards, but dangers do lurk. Playing it safe is easy if you recognize the potential hazards early.
Curious young children and pets can be tempted to taste plants in your gardens and landscape, so it pays to know what plants to avoid. Many popular perennials and annuals, albeit beautiful, are very toxic, even fatally so, when ingested. These include garden favorites like bleeding heart, delphinium, larkspur, foxglove, and lily-of-the-valley. Prevention is easy — don't plant these dangerous beauties and get rid of the ones you have. Visit the Texas Cooperative Extension's Poisonous Plants Web page for a list of common toxic plants.
For plants like poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac that cause a reaction upon contact, pulling isn't an option. Herbicides are your best bet for eradication — there are some new organic types, or choose one containing glyphosate. But you must be patient and diligent. It can take repeated herbicide applications to rid your garden of these tenacious plants. And remember, if you come in contact with the plants, the quicker you can wash off the oil the better. Rubbing alcohol can be effective in removing the oil. Use COLD water in the shower with a strong detergent — don't use a bar of soap as it can spread the oil to different parts of the body. Then follow up with a treatment specifically for poison ivy. Also, remember oils from these plants can be transmitted on your clothes so immediately wash them in hot water and always have first aid ready to go.
Learn to recognize poison ivy and try to eradicate it from your yard.
Mushrooms can be a sign of healthy soil, and not all mushrooms are poisonous — but it's hard to tell. Your best bet is to remove mushrooms whenever you see them.
Ironically, many of the chemicals we use to beautify our lawn and garden are toxic. Search for safer organic products and always follow label instructions carefully. Store all lawn and garden chemicals, fertilizers, and pesticides in a safe place out of the reach of children and pets.
If you garden in the early morning or evening hours, use a bug spray to ward off mosquitoes and ticks which are not only unpleasant, but can also transmit Lyme Disease and West Nile Virus.
Use common sense with garden tools: