Celebrating the Seasons


'Tis the Season to Watch the Pets

It's easy to get wrapped up in the holiday spirit while forgetting about our four-legged friends. Many plants, decorations, and candy can be deadly to household pets. Protect your pets from the following so they, too, can be merry and bright.

  • Poinsettia sap is an irritant and can cause stomach distress; holly and mistletoe can cause serious illness if large quantities of berries are consumed.
  • Pine needles can puncture holes in a pet's intestines if ingested.
  • Holiday tree water may contain pesticides and fertilizers, and can be poisonous. Stagnant tree water can also harbor bacteria.
  • Tinsel, ribbons, glass ornaments, ornament hooks, and Styrofoam packing materials can cause internal injuries.
  • Snow flock or snow sprays can cause reactions when inhaled.
  • Electrical cords and strings of lights can electrocute if chewed on.
  • Lit candles, portable heaters, and fireplace screens can cause burns.
  • Alcoholic beverages, chocolate, and other table foods can cause reactions from vomiting and diarrhea, to serious pancreatitis and allergic reactions.

K-9 Candy — Holiday Cookies for the Dogs!

Makes 20-24 treats

2cups whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
½ teaspoon ginger
½teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon garlic powder
2 large eggs
½ cup molasses
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Add eggs, molasses, and oil. Mix well. Mixture will be crumbly. Transfer dough to wax paper and knead until smooth. Roll out to ¼ inch thick. Cut with novelty cookie cutters: gingerbread man, bone, cat, mailman, candy cane, etc. Place on oil-sprayed cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.

School Garden Grants, Fun Activities, Lessons and more at - www.kidsgardening.org

NGA offers the largest and most respected array of gardening content for consumers and educators. Learn more about NGA »

- ADVERTISEMENTS -