Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
RootingGolden Pothos

RootingGolden Pothos
Posted by Tonya from MS on 2002-08-19 17:29:27

What's the best way to root a Golden Pothos? Or, to divide it?
  • propagating pothos
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NY on 2002-08-20 17:33:44

Pothos cuttings root easily in plain water or in moist soil. If you root them in water, change the water weekly and wait until roots are about an inch long before transferring them to a small pot filled with a pottting mix of peat moss and perlite.

If you root them directly, use a peat/perlite mix in a small pot. Keep the mix moderately damp at all times. You can place the pot and cuttings inside a sealed, clear plastic bag for better results.

You can also divide a potbound pothos by slicing right through the center of the rootball and then putting each half into its own pot.

I have written an article on plant propagation techniques that I will email to anyone who requests it.

Quoting Tonya: ------------
    -What's the best way to root a Golden Pothos? Or, to divide it?

Insiders' Plant Information

• Golden Pothos
      Posted by George Allaman (george_allaman@maxtor.com) from Colorado on 2005-07-06 03:00:00

I have this plant all over the inside of my house - literally. I have stems over 20' long I've trailed along the walls. The size of the pot seems not to matter at all as long as the roots are kept moist. I find that unlike most indoor plants it's better to overwater than underwater.

My only problem is that as the stems get long they get very thick, while the base of the long stems stays thin. Then the leaves start turning brown and dropping off near the base. I think this is because the healthy ends starve the leaves near the base. Does anyone know how to deal with this?

Also, is there a way to make a stem divide? Pruning doesn't seem to work with this plant. The cut end will divide, leaving an ugly stump next to the new shoot.

Thanks,

George
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —