Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
dying vine

dying vine
Posted by Bobbi-Jo from CT on 2002-08-02 14:53:10

Hi,

I recently repotted a vine and now it is doing terribly! I'm not sure what kind of vine it is, but the instructions called for high light which I have been giving it. I repotted it about a month ago in MiracleGrow soil. Although the leaves on the top seem to look healthy, a lot of the "older" leaves and mostly leaves closer to the bottom of the plant are dying, turning very dry and falling off. When they first appeared dry I watered the plant a little more often but that didn't help and a co-worker told me I might actually have over-watered it. I've let it dry out now and I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I add a little more plant food to the soil? How often should I water the vine? Any help anyone could me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  • vine question
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NY on 2002-08-02 20:39:56

Hi Bobbi-Jo,

It is hard to give specific advice without a specific plant identification. Improper light could be the problem. Many plants lose older leaves as they adapt to a new environment. Repotting may also be a contributing factor. Unnecessary repotting is a common plant problem.

Wait until the top inch of soil is dry before watering thoroughly. It should take between 3 and 10 days for your plant to dry out between waterings if it is properly potted. If it takes more than 10 to 14 days, then the pot is too large and the roots may be rotting.

Quoting Bobbi-Jo: ------------
    -Hi,

-I recently repotted a vine and now it is doing terribly! I'm not sure what kind of vine it is, but the instructions called for high light which I have been giving it. I repotted it about a month ago in MiracleGrow soil. Although the leaves on the top seem to look healthy, a lot of the "older" leaves and mostly leaves closer to the bottom of the plant are dying, turning very dry and falling off. When they first appeared dry I watered the plant a little more often but that didn't help and a co-worker told me I might actually have over-watered it. I've let it dry out now and I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I add a little more plant food to the soil? How often should I water the vine? Any help anyone could me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —