Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
plant as wedding favor

plant as wedding favor
Posted by L Young from Florida on 2002-07-19 15:41:22

I am gettting married at the end of August and would like to use small flowering plants as table decorations that will also serve as a favor for guests to take home. I purchased a few terenia (an annual) because they had nice two-tone purple flowers, but within 2 days, most of their blooms closed up and now they look "weedy." I was originally thinking of African violets, but I'm not sure if I can count on them being in bloom. Can anyone suggest a suitable plant (available in 3-4 inch pots, that I can reasonably rely upon to maintain nice blooms? I would prefer a purple flower.

Thanks, L
  • wedding favors
    Posted by William Creed from NYC on 2002-07-23 16:48:00

Although they are not flowering plants, Lucky bamboos (Dracaena sanderiana) in glass vases with pebbles are very popular right now. They are unusual in appearance, good conversation pieces, and they are easy for even "black thumbs" to maintain.

Quoting L Young: ------------

-I am gettting married at the end of August and would like to use small flowering plants as table decorations that will also serve as a favor for guests to take home. I purchased a few terenia (an annual) because they had nice two-tone purple flowers, but within 2 days, most of their blooms closed up and now they look "weedy." I was originally thinking of African violets, but I'm not sure if I can count on them being in bloom. Can anyone suggest a suitable plant (available in 3-4 inch pots, that I can reasonably rely upon to maintain nice blooms? I would prefer a purple flower.

-Thanks, L

Insiders' Plant Information

• Impatiens
    Posted by Nan from Wi/4 on 2002-07-23 15:30:45

How about impatiens? They should be readily available, and priced reasonably...you can pinch back the foliage if they begin to become leggy before your wedding. The New Guinea types also have beautiful foliage that will stand out if some of the plants aren't blooming when 'needed'.....congratulations, by the way!!

Quoting L Young: ------------

-I am gettting married at the end of August and would like to use small flowering plants as table decorations that will also serve as a favor for guests to take home. I purchased a few terenia (an annual) because they had nice two-tone purple flowers, but within 2 days, most of their blooms closed up and now they look "weedy." I was originally thinking of African violets, but I'm not sure if I can count on them being in bloom. Can anyone suggest a suitable plant (available in 3-4 inch pots, that I can reasonably rely upon to maintain nice blooms? I would prefer a purple flower.

-Thanks, L
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —