Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Help, dying office plant??

Help, dying office plant??
Posted by Jodi from Northern Kentuc on 2002-07-18 08:13:15

Can anyone give me advice...I have an unknown office plant that I have had for 2 years (spike like greenery) and just in the past week the bottom leaves have been turning black and the tips are twisting and turning.

what's going on???

thanks
  • mystery plant
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NYC on 2002-07-19 15:23:09

Jodi - We need better information to give you a proper answer. Different plants have different needs, so a plant name is important. We also need some information about the light source and how much light the plant receives; how and when it is watered; and whether there has been any change in its environment or care in recent weeks.

Quoting Jodi: ------------
    -Can anyone give me advice...I have an unknown office plant that I have had for 2 years (spike like greenery) and just in the past week the bottom leaves have been turning black and the tips are twisting and turning.

-what's going on???

-thanks

Insiders' Plant Information

• Janet Craig
      Posted by William Creed from NYC on 2002-07-23 16:42:39

Hi Jodi,

Janet Craigs develop blackened leaves usually as a result of cold damage (unlikely at this time of year) or the introduction of some kind of toxic substance in the soil.

Lower leaves that turn yellow or brown may be responding to improper watering or potting. Janet Craigs do best in a porous, peat-based potting mix in which the top inch or two of soil dries out every 5 to 10 days. Water thoroughly at that time. Also, look for roots wandering out of drainage holes.

Quoting Will Creed, Horticulturist: ------------
      -Jodi - We need better information to give you a proper answer. Different plants have different needs, so a plant name is important. We also need some information about the light source and how much light the plant receives; how and when it is watered; and whether there has been any change in its environment or care in recent weeks.

-Quoting Jodi: ------------
      -Can anyone give me advice...I have an unknown office plant that I have had for 2 years (spike like greenery) and just in the past week the bottom leaves have been turning black and the tips are twisting and turning.

-what's going on???

-thanks

Insiders' Plant Information

• THANKS!
        Posted by jodi from ky on 2002-07-24 12:39:32

Quoting William Creed: ------------
        -Hi Jodi,

-Janet Craigs develop blackened leaves usually as a result of cold damage (unlikely at this time of year) or the introduction of some kind of toxic substance in the soil.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
    • plant name
      Posted by jodi from ky on 2002-07-22 07:34:51

ok found addtnl info. It is a Janet Craig. Receives 8 hrs interior cubicle office lighting, no windows around for natural light. Watered once a week. It was put in a decrotive pot back in December (it actually responded well, perked up, and even grew a little
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —