Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
HOUSEPLANTS

HOUSEPLANTS
Posted by RITA (RITANGLEN@CS.COM) from NORTH CAROLINA on 2002-07-17 14:08:13

I WILL BE AWAY FROM MY HOME FOR ABOUT THREE WEEKS. MY QUESTION IS: CAN I PUT MY HOUSEPLANTS IN THE TUB WITH A COUPLE INCHES OF WATER TO KEEP THEM ALIVE WHILE I'M AWAY? THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE!
  • vacation plants
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NYC on 2002-07-19 15:18:13

Rita - First make sure that your plants will get some light during your 3 weeks away. A dark bathroom is not good.

Here is a handy trick for keeping your plants moist while you are away. Use a half-inch wide strip of felt or pantyhose as a wick that is pushed up through a drainage hole with a screwdriver into the middle of the rootball. Place the pot on top of a styrofoam block or brick or inverted pot that is set inside a water tight container or bowl. You could also use a plastic milk crate inside a bath tub filled with some water.

Fill the container with water up to near the top of the block or brick. The wick should dangle down from the drainage hole and into the water container. The container will serves as a reservoir of water that is wicked up to the rootball as it is needed. The block or brick or pot serves a support to keep the pot from sitting ddirectly in the water. There are many possible variations on this set up, as long as you follow the basic principles.

Let me know if you have any questions and have a great vacation!

Quoting RITA: ------------
    -I WILL BE AWAY FROM MY HOME FOR ABOUT THREE WEEKS. MY QUESTION IS: CAN I PUT MY HOUSEPLANTS IN THE TUB WITH A COUPLE INCHES OF WATER TO KEEP THEM ALIVE WHILE I'M AWAY? THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE!

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —