Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Trailing African Violet problem

Trailing African Violet problem
Posted by Alison from Pennsylvania on 2002-07-17 10:36:38

I have a beautiful trailing african violet which for the last 3 years has been in constant and abundant bloom. The plant appears healthy except for one thing. Some of the trailing branches have become brown and soft/mushy and I have had to remove them. Does anyone know what causes this? My first thought is maybe the weight against edge of the pot but I really don't know.
  • African violets
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NYC on 2002-07-19 15:09:32

Alison - If it is just an occasional leaf or two that discolor, then that is normal. Individual leaves die as they get older. As long as you are getting a comparable number of healthy new leaves, there is no problem.

If a lot of leaves suddenly turn soft, then keeping the soil too moist is the likely cause. This often happens after repotting, which is generally not a good thing to do with AV's.

Quoting Alison: ------------
    -I have a beautiful trailing african violet which for the last 3 years has been in constant and abundant bloom. The plant appears healthy except for one thing. Some of the trailing branches have become brown and soft/mushy and I have had to remove them. Does anyone know what causes this? My first thought is maybe the weight against edge of the pot but I really don't know.

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —