Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Indoor Plants

Indoor Plants
Posted by Pat Hood from Ontario on 2002-07-16 09:46:12

Can anyone help on the best plants to grow in an office environment -fluorescent lighting.

Thanks
  • low light plants
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NYC on 2002-07-16 15:40:13

The best low light plants are dracaena massangeana (corn plant), dracaena 'Janet Craig', spathiphyllum (peace lily), Kentia palm (expensive), rhapis palm (expensive),aspidistra (cast iron plant), aglaonema (Chinese evergreen), and pothos (devil's ivy). All of these would do well in fluorescent light that is kept on for 8 hours or more, five days per week.

In low light, it is important not to do too much for plants. They grow very slowly so don't water too frequently, do not repot them, and stay away from the fertilizer/plant food. When you select one or two, I can provide more specific care instructions.

Quoting Pat Hood: ------------
    -Can anyone help on the best plants to grow in an office environment -fluorescent lighting.

-Thanks

Insiders' Plant Information

• Low-light plants
      Posted by Elan from NH on 2005-03-09 07:13:00

I just bought a large Spathiphyllum half off, i guess becasue it's leaves were starting to brown on the edges. This morning i noticed that some leave were starting to turn yellow. Can you tell me how to care for this plant and maybe bring it back to life?
      • Spathiphyllum
        Posted by Karan from Maine on 2006-09-22 08:51:00

I have a 10-year-old Spathiphyllum that has grown to be about 5 feet in diameter. It's been living in an extra bedroom which has now become a nursery so the plants gotta go! I was thinking of dividing it but read here it's not recommended. Why? And do you have any suggestions? It's blooming currently and has been living in an indirect medium lit room. Would putting it next to a window in direct light be too much?
      • Spathiphyllum
        Posted by Karan from Maine on 2006-09-17 11:03:00

I have a 10-year-old Spathiphyllum that has grown to be about 5 feet in diameter. It's been living in an extra bedroom which has now become a nursery so the plants gotta go! I was thinking of dividing it but read here it's not recommended. Why? And do you have any suggestions? It's blooming currently and has been living in an indirect medium lit room. Would putting it next to a window in direct light be too much?
      • Peace lily
        Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@Horticulturalhelp.com) from NY on 2005-03-12 11:56:00

Hi Elan,

When peace lilies get too dry they wilt and then a week or so later, leaf tips turn brown and some leaves turn yellow. All of that from a single episode of letting the soil get too dry.

Peace lilies do best in bright, indirect light, such as on a north windowsill.

Water yours as soon as the surface of the soil feels almost dry or when the leaves start to wilt just a bit. Aleays water thoroughly until a little water trickles through the drainage holes.

Avoid repotting - it discourages flowers - and fertilize at half-strength monthly.

Trim off any disclored leaves or leaf tips.

Will Creed

Insiders' Plant Information

• My plant won't bloom.
          Posted by Shalene Walker (Shalene80@hotmail.com) from MS on 2007-04-19 10:14:00

My plant stays green all of the time. Every now an then I have a yellow leaf that I pull out of the pot. I did repot it this past fall because it was overgrown. I have a lot of baby leaves as well as big leaves but I don't have any lilies. Please help!!

SSW
          • Peace lily
            Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com) from NY on 2007-04-20 10:41:00

Peace lilies bloom only when potbound, so your recent repotting will be a deterrent until the roots fill the pot.

However, most peace lilies sold in recent years are hybrids. Many of these hybrids tend to produce one prolific crop of flowers and then not much subsequently. I don't know if this applies to yours. But if it does, then there is nothing you can do about it.

I have written an article on peace lilies that I will email to anyone who emails me a request.

Insides Plant Information

• care of peace lily
              Posted by Diane Howard from FL on 2007-08-08 05:57:00

please tell me how to care for a peace lilly
              • Peace Lilly dying
                Posted by joyce from Stafford on 2009-06-15 05:47:00

I have two of thema peace Lilly from my Mothers homegoing i eant to keep the leave and flower were plenty now thew the leaves are dying browning everyday what is going on it was shipped to my home was lovely full now looking poor flowers browning and dying what can I DO!!! THANKS ASAP
              • peace lily care
                Posted by Will Creed from wcreed@Horticul on 2007-08-08 06:06:00

Send your email address and request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com and I will email you my article on peace lily care.
                • peace lily
                  Posted by Ramona Laursen from California on 2011-04-06 05:21:00

Please send me your article on peace lily care.
                  Thank you,
                  Ramonarhax eannee
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —