Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
dividing ferns

dividing ferns
Posted by tina (tcjc85@aol.com) from wisconsin on 2002-07-14 00:46:50

i have 2 very large ferns. they are in great need of repotting.but they are so large that i was wondering if it was possible to split them into 4 plants instead of 2. any information would be greatly appreciated!
  • repotting Boston ferns
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NY on 2002-07-14 14:51:16

Why do you think they need repotting? Unless you feel you have to water them too frequently, then they are probably fine in their 16" pots. If these are new plants, then I strongly advise against repotting at this time.

Healthy Boston ferns can be divided quite easily. Use a long sharp knife and slice straight down through the rootball. You can slice it in half or in quarters or thirds. Don't worry about damaging roots.

Put each division or section into the smallest pot that the section will fit into snugly. Fill in the pots with a porous potting mix around the rootball section and you are all set.

You should expect some browning of fronds following the division due to the shock of the cutting and the excess handling. Keep the soil moist and do not fertilize until the roots have filled their new pots.

Please let me know if any of this unclear or if you have any additional questions.

Quoting tina: ------------
    -i have 2 very large ferns. they are in great need of repotting.but they are so large that i was wondering if it was possible to split them into 4 plants instead of 2. any information would be greatly appreciated!

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —