Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Fungus on my Ficus

Fungus on my Ficus
Posted by Isabella (isabellab@vhf.org) from Southern Califo on 2002-07-09 02:13:49

Hi there,

I'm hoping you can help me solve a problem with my ficus plant. I've had it now for over three years and recently (about 3 months ago) I repotted it into a larger container.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that yellow mushrooms started forming at the top of the soil -- and they actually grew to be quite large! I dug them up and out, replaced the soil and gave the ficus plant food. It seems to have been doing fine but today I noticed that the yellow mushrooms are coming back.

Can you tell me what these are and how I can manage to get rid of them for good?

Thanks very much. I look forward to your responses.
  • mushrooms
    Posted by William E. Creed from NY on 2002-07-10 16:17:06

Hi Isabella,

Fungus in the soil is a result of using unsterilized soil. Over watering will enhance its growth, but is not necessarily the cause. Try removing the soil immediately under and around the fungus growth. Then spray the surface of the soil with rubbing alcohol. Give the plant as much light and as little water as possible. Use only sterile soil in the future and make sure no food substances get poured or put into the soil. You may need to continue this treatment fore a while to eliminate all of the fungus spores.

If all else fails, you can apply a fungicide as a soil drench to your ficus.

If this

Quoting Isabella: ------------
    -Hi there,

-I'm hoping you can help me solve a problem with my ficus plant. I've had it now for over three years and recently (about 3 months ago) I repotted it into a larger container.

-A couple of weeks ago I noticed that yellow mushrooms started forming at the top of the soil -- and they actually grew to be quite large! I dug them up and out, replaced the soil and gave the ficus plant food. It seems to have been doing fine but today I noticed that the yellow mushrooms are coming back.

-Can you tell me what these are and how I can manage to get rid of them for good?

-Thanks very much. I look forward to your responses.

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —