Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Zucchini turning yellow and dying

Zucchini turning yellow and dying
Posted by JDNJ from nj on 2002-07-07 12:20:32

I have numerous zucchini plants in my gardens (each garden is 20 ft apart), that begin to form fruit and grow well. When the fruit is about one inch long it turns from green to yellow, stops growing, and dies. I can't see any evidence of disease or pests and the soil drains well. I am curious if anyone has had a similar problem and if any remedy / suggestion will solve my dilema. Thank you for your help!!!
  • Pollination
    Posted by Emily from MI on 2002-08-04 22:59:57

This sounds like a pollination problem to me. Female flowers have a little proto-zuke on them, but if they don't get pollinated, the fruit withers and dies. Try hand-pollinating your squash and plant flowers that attract bees (which are dying of mites these days).
  • I have the same problem..
    Posted by darcy benward from So. Calif. on 2002-07-09 21:33:22

and I was afraid of that. I just hope whatever is attacking the zucc's. stays away from the rest of my garden...

Quoting JDNJ: ------------
    -I have numerous zucchini plants in my gardens (each garden is 20 ft apart), that begin to form fruit and grow well. When the fruit is about one inch long it turns from green to yellow, stops growing, and dies. I can't see any evidence of disease or pests and the soil drains well. I am curious if anyone has had a similar problem and if any remedy / suggestion will solve my dilema. Thank you for your help!!!
  • Bug
    Posted by Elaine (Jholloman1@attbi.com) from Ga. on 2002-07-07 15:39:50

It sounds like you have a bug eatting your tap root. The only thing you can do is pull it up :-(! Not all is lost
    you can take the blooms and cook them. Take the blooms wash then flour and fry about one minute. They are crisp and good. Salt lightly! :-)
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —