Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Patchouli Plants

Patchouli Plants
Posted by Tara DeLong (taradelong@entermail.net) from PA Zone 6 on 2002-07-03 23:22:47

I purchased a 8" potted patchouli plant for my husband at the local farmer's market today. The person at the stand was not helpful as far as tips on caring for the plant, watering/lite etc. I have searched all my gardening books & the internet for info but all that is available is info on patchouli oils. Can anyone out there help me????
  • Patchouli
    Posted by jdmiller from Indiana/Zone 6 on 2002-07-25 01:31:24

Quoting Tara DeLong: ------------
    -I purchased a 8" potted patchouli plant for my husband at the local farmer's market today. The person at the stand was not helpful as far as tips on caring for the plant, watering/lite etc. I have searched all my gardening books & the internet for info but all that is available is info on patchouli oils. Can anyone out there help me???? I don't know much about patchouli, but I do know that it is a tender perennial, it won't withstand your winters so you will have to bring it inside before frost. It likes full sun and warm temps. Other than that, I don't know much else.
    • Patchouli plant
      Posted by K Huse from Texas on 2014-11-06 12:36:00

From what I have gathered off the Internet, if it is potted, it needs to be in a loose, compost rich, in fact, I have seen people posting on other forums, the more compost in the soil for patchouli, the better; nice hot sunny location, watered daily..take the bottom catch plate off the pot and let the water drain out into the soil underneath... the soil mix should let the soil drain fairly rapidly, much like you would do for rosemary; apparently, patchouli does not like having the roots wet, so good drainage is essential; daily waterings are also essential, don't drown it and do not water is to much that water will be lefts standing in the drainage plates of the pot you have it planted in; again, much like rosemary. Monthly feedings also seem to be essential for good growth.
    • PATCHOULI PLANT
      Posted by Tara from PA zone 6 on 2002-07-28 22:10:35

Quoting jdmiller: ------------
      -Quoting Tara DeLong: ------------
      -I purchased a 8" potted patchouli plant for my husband at the local farmer's market today. The person at the stand was not helpful as far as tips on caring for the plant, watering/lite etc. I have searched all my gardening books & the internet for info but all that is available is info on patchouli oils. Can anyone out there help me???? I don't know much about patchouli, but I do know that it is a tender perennial, it won't withstand your winters so you will have to bring it inside before frost. It likes full sun and warm temps. Other than that, I don't know much else.
      thanks, but I guess I forgot the mention that I have it in my home, on a windowsill above the sink facing north. I transplanted it, it was root bound, seems to be doing better. I placed it in a dish with stones for humidity. If anyone else out there has any info it would definitely be appreciated. Thanks again.... :)

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —