Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
well water

well water
Posted by Diana Sims (disuesims@aol.com) from Missouri/5 on 2002-07-01 14:41:11

we have just moved out in the country. now have well water and gees does it smell. smells alittle like sulphur. my question is will it hurt my plants? hasn't hurt me yet, as i've made coffee with it but i wouldn't have a glass to drink.
  • well water
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NYC on 2002-07-01 16:58:41

Yes, the well water may be detrimental to the health of your plants. Sulphur is acidic and changes the pH of the potting soil. If you have sulphur in your well water, then the soil pH will gradually drop. At a certain point, the potting soil becomes so acidic that the nutrients in the soil are no longer available for the roots to absorb. Adding fertilizer will not help.

Lime is an antidote for soil that is too acidic. However, you have to have a soil and water test to determine how much lime is needed.

In addition, your well water may contain other detrimental minerals that you cannot test or smell. There is no way to know about their presence without having your water tested.

If possible, use filtered, distilled, or rain water to water your plants. Otherwise you have no other choice than to test your well water for pH and mineral content. If you do have it tested and are unsure how to interpret the results, let me know and I will help you.

Quoting Diana Sims: ------------
    -we have just moved out in the country. now have well water and gees does it smell. smells alittle like sulphur. my question is will it hurt my plants? hasn't hurt me yet, as i've made coffee with it but i wouldn't have a glass to drink.

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —