Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Tomato and Jalapeno problems

Tomato and Jalapeno problems
Posted by Kelli from Oklahoma on 2002-06-23 12:28:39

I have four questions, so I thought I'd just lump them all together.

1. One of my tomato plants has developed yellowed leaves with brown spots all over them. The leaves get spotted, yellowed, then wilted. Today I went and picked a lot of those small branches off. What could this be?

2. I'm getting grasshoppers and they are eating the flowers off that same tomato plant. What is a good way to control them? I sprinkled with Ortho bug-b-gone this morning.

3. Another tomato plant had a tomato on it that developed a brown patch on it. The patch was on the side of the fruit that got the least amount of sun, and it was kind of squishy. The fruit wasn't fully developed, quite small and green. What is this and what can I do to prevent it?

4. Finally...something is boring into my jalapenos. Once whatever does that digs its hole, it seems to leave and then the pepper falls off. Again, I sprinkled with bug-b-gone this morning. Is that all I can do?

Is it obvious that I'm still somewhat new to gardening? I've never had this many problems at once :P

• Tomato problems
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-06-26 07:25:08

-1. Possibly Early Blight, aka Alternaria Blight. Clean up as you have already done helps. Spraying with a copper or sulfur based spray and since this is a soil based disease mulching heavily can help kep the disease spores from splashing onto the plant.

-2. Grasshopppers eat other parts of the plants too and encouraging natural predators to hang around (that broad spectrum pesticide isn't good for the insects that feed on grasshoppers and will do little to keep grasshoppers away) such as Blister Beetles, Ground Beetles, Birds predatory flies, parasitic nematodes. Barriers around the plants can help too, screening, floating row covers.

-3. If this was not on the blossom end and there was a small hole in the rotten area it was most likely a tomoto fruitworm/corn earworm. Once the larva are inside the fruit pesticides do little to control them. Floating row covers to keep the adult moths away will help.

-4. Peppers are related to tomatoes and get many of the same types of problems and they can be handled mostly in the same way.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —