Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
What herbs grow well in the shade?

What herbs grow well in the shade?
Posted by Green Thumb from Maryland on 2002-06-19 11:54:22

I want to grow a herb garden were I've weeded but the area gets little sun. What herbs will grow there?
  • shade herbs
    Posted by Cindy from so cal coast on 2008-07-03 11:56:00

Anything in the mint family
  • Herbs
    Posted by Steve from NY on 2002-07-14 23:08:31

Quoting Green Thumb: ------------
    -I want to grow a herb garden were I've weeded but the area gets little sun. What herbs will grow there?

I have some oregano in partial shade and its doing awesome. I tried some chives and dill this year, they seem to be doing alright. the dill is a little short. I think you can grow most herbs in the some shade, but they might not grow and fast or big as in full sun.
    • Herbs in the Shade
      Posted by Mina from NJ - Zone 6 on 2002-07-15 14:04:56

Quoting Steve: ------------
      -Quoting Green Thumb: ------------
      -I want to grow a herb garden were I've weeded but the area gets little sun. What herbs will grow there?

-I have some oregano in partial shade and its doing awesome. I tried some chives and dill this year, they seem to be doing alright. the dill is a little short. I think you can grow most herbs in the some shade, but they might not grow and fast or big as in full sun.

- - I agree. I have a garden that gets full sun on one half and shade on the other half. All the herbs grow well (if your soil is good), but the same plants in the full sun do the best. Basil is another one you can try growing.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —