Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Gree Tomato with brown rotten spots

Gree Tomato with brown rotten spots
Posted by jeff from Georgia on 2002-06-10 07:42:00

I live in georgia. My tomato plants look great. They are already about 4 foot tall and healthy, but I have noticed a few of the growing tomatos have brown rotten spots on them. At this point I have only noticed 3-4 that have this - out of 7 plants. Is this a sign of something that my become more prevalent in my plants? Again, this is on the green frtui, and looks simply like rotten spots.
  • Anthracnose on Tomatoes
    Posted by Jim from CT on 2006-08-31 10:53:00

I also had small spots on my Roma tomatoes, which develop into round black rotten areas as the fruits ripen. I have had to discard about half the tomatoes I've picked, and the spots keep developing, even on tomatoes I thought were unaffected. Questions:
    Is it harmful to humans? If I cut out the rotten spots, can I still make sauce from these tomatoes? Can I arrest the progress of the disease on my ripening fruit? How can I prevent this problem in the future? Advice would be much appreciated.
  • Tomatoes with rotten spots
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-06-11 07:00:04

The location of these spots could help determine which problem you may have although Blossom End Rot is the most common. Small brown rot with a hole in it could be from the Tomato Fruitworm or if there are just some brown rings it might be Anthracnose. Blossom End Rot will be a rotten area on the blossom end of the fruit, or bottom as most people describe it.
    While uneven watering could be a contributing factor to BER the cause is a calcium deficiency at fruit set and most often doesn't show up until the fruit is almost ripe. One of the reasons people put egg shells, a handfull of lime, or even some antacid tablets in the planting hole when setting out tomatoes.
    First determine what is causing the problem, insects, disease, or a nutirient deficiency.
  • Green tomatoe blight
    Posted by Barbara from ct 6b on 2002-06-10 11:33:00

Quoting jeff: ------------
    -I live in georgia. My tomato plants look great. They are already about 4 foot tall and healthy, but I have noticed a few of the growing tomatos have brown rotten spots on them. At this point I have only noticed 3-4 that have this - out of 7 plants. Is this a sign of something that my become more prevalent in my plants? Again, this is on the green frtui, and looks simply like rotten spots.

Sounds like blossom end rot to me. Uneven watering very often the culprit. Use a mulch, that usually solves the problem. I have tried a quick shot of lime which also worked but I don't know if it was actually the lime or correcting the watering. I pass it on for whatever it's worth!
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —