Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Wildflowers

Wildflowers
Posted by Lori from New Jersey on 2002-06-07 14:45:36

Basic question: Are wildflowers perennials (black-eyed susans, coneflowers, etc.)? After they do their thing, do I just cut them back? Do I need to reseed?
Thanks
  • wildflower seed saving tip
    Posted by Doss from SE Missouri on 2002-10-19 20:15:41

Quoting Lori: ------------
    -Basic question: Are wildflowers perennials (black-eyed susans, coneflowers, etc.)? After they do their thing, do I just cut them back? Do I need to reseed?
    -Thanks

Hi Lori; if you would like to share wildflower seeds it's painless and easy to save the seeds: just stretch a cheap ankle-length nylon hose over the
    seedhead. Seal the bottom with a twist---tie bread sack closer or string. Cut the seedstalks and hose loose when the seedheads have browned out. It prevents rampant reseeders from becoming a nuisance, too.
  • wildflowers
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-06-09 05:11:03

Quoting Lori: ------------
    -Basic question: Are wildflowers perennials (black-eyed susans, coneflowers, etc.)? After they do their thing, do I just cut them back? Do I need to reseed?
    -Thanks

Wildflowers can be perennial, annual or biennial.

If you leave the seed heads on black eyed susans and coneflowers, the birds will love you, as they eat the seeds. Also, these plants will reseed and make more babies. If your garden space is small, you might want to leave a few seed heads on instead of them all.

I only cut plants back after they flower if they look terrible or I want a specific plant to flower again. Not all plants will do that. Best to cut plants back in late fall or wait until spring clean up so that they can set seed.

Good question,
    Newt
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —