Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Tomatoes - lots of leaves, no f lowers

Tomatoes - lots of leaves, no f lowers
Posted by Keia from Maryland on 2002-06-03 16:24:21

I am a beginning gardener who has been trying to grow a couple of different varieties of tomatoes in containers. I grew them from seeds and transplanted them a few weeks ago. My problem is that I have strong healthy plants with lots of leaves, but no flowers. From what I've read on this website, it seems my plants have been getting too much nitrogen. I potted them using miracle-gro potting mix and I haven't added any additional fertilizer. What can I do to get flowers?
  • Tomato Flower set
    Posted by Barbara from ct 6b on 2002-06-07 12:57:11

Quoting Keia: ------------
    -I am a beginning gardener who has been trying to grow a couple of different varieties of tomatoes in containers. I grew them from seeds and transplanted them a few weeks ago. My problem is that I have strong healthy plants with lots of leaves, but no flowers. From what I've read on this website, it seems my plants have been getting too much nitrogen. I potted them using miracle-gro potting mix and I haven't added any additional fertilizer. What can I do to get flowers?

Counteract the nitrogen by using a fertilizer with a high second number (potassium). Try a one time shot of something like 10-60-10, I think there's one called Granny's Bloomers. Then go back to 5-10-5 or equivalent. Use the liquid for faster results. Don't forget that different varities will produce flowers at different times and it's always best to pinch off the first set of flowers to encourage better root development for longer lasting fruit set. Yes, I know it's tough!
    • Pinching off flowers?
      Posted by Steve from NY on 2002-06-08 18:23:20

Quoting Barbara: ------------
      it's always best to pinch off the first set of flowers to encourage better root development for longer lasting fruit set. Yes, I know it's tough!

What!?!?
      I live in a pretty short growing season (well kind of), but I have be trying tomatoes forever without any luck. I don't think my tomatoes will stop yeilding by the end of the season, so is it worth it for me to pick of the 1st flowers? In the past, i have only gotten green tomatoes, but i haven't gotten a good start on the garden those past years. This year, I am on top of things and have just begun to get flower buds, should i pick those off? I think my growing season ends on the start of September.
      • Tomato Flowers
        Posted by Barbara from ct 6b on 2002-06-10 11:26:11

Quoting Steve: ------------
        -Quoting Barbara: ------------
        -it's always best to pinch off the first set of flowers to encourage better root development for longer lasting fruit set. Yes, I know it's tough!

-What!?!?
        -I live in a pretty short growing season (well kind of), but I have be trying tomatoes forever without any luck. I don't think my tomatoes will stop yeilding by the end of the season, so is it worth it for me to pick of the 1st flowers? In the past, i have only gotten green tomatoes, but i haven't gotten a good start on the garden those past years. This year, I am on top of things and have just begun to get flower buds, should i pick those off? I think my growing season ends on the start of September.

I also grow a garden in Fulton County, NY which I believe is zone 3. I do pick off the first flowers and I have a successful crop. But in your micro climate it might not work. Why not pick off the flowers off just one and see what happens. Happy gardening!
        • tomato flowers
          Posted by Barbara from ct 6b on 2002-06-10 11:35:22

Quoting Barbara: ------------
          -Quoting Steve: ------------
          -Quoting Barbara: ------------
          -it's always best to pinch off the first set of flowers to encourage better root development for longer lasting fruit set. Yes, I know it's tough!

-What!?!?
          -I live in a pretty short growing season (well kind of), but I have be trying tomatoes forever without any luck. I don't think my tomatoes will stop yeilding by the end of the season, so is it worth it for me to pick of the 1st flowers? In the past, i have only gotten green tomatoes, but i haven't gotten a good start on the garden those past years. This year, I am on top of things and have just begun to get flower buds, should i pick those off? I think my growing season ends on the start of September.

-I also grow a garden in Fulton County, NY which I believe is zone 3. I do pick off the first flowers and I have a successful crop. But in your micro climate it might not work. Why not pick off the flowers off just one and see what happens. Happy gardening!

ps I must have had a black out, the fertilizer ratio I referred to is n-p-k and the second number is phosphorous. Potassium is, of course, the third. Sorry about that folks.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —