Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
What to do with my seeds????

What to do with my seeds????
Posted by Jason from Kentucky/6B on 2002-06-02 13:28:54

I have ordered a LOT of seeds of many different verities. Some I can still plant but the others that are past what should I do with them? Can I go ahead and plant them (if they are perennials) and they will grow next year or what? Can I just keep them in doors?
Please help
Thanks
  • Overdue seeds
    Posted by Happy Gardener from Zone 7 on 2002-06-03 11:53:50

Quoting Jason: ------------
    -I have ordered a LOT of seeds of many different verities. Some I can still plant but the others that are past what should I do with them? Can I go ahead and plant them (if they are perennials) and they will grow next year or what? Can I just keep them in doors?
    -Please help
    -Thanks

Jason,

I'd try growing them in the ground as opposed to trying to start them inside. I've had terrible luck with trying to get seeds to grow inside, they do much better outside. Some seeds are only good for a year,so if your seeds are only a few months overdue, you may have some luck sowing them outside.

Good luck.
    • Many seeds----What to do
      Posted by Arthur Kibler (alkibler@att.net) from NC/7B on 2002-09-06 13:44:58

Quoting Happy Gardener: ------------
      -Quoting Jason: ------------
      -I have ordered a LOT of seeds of many different verities. Some I can still plant but the others that are past what should I do with them? Can I go ahead and plant them (if they are perennials) and they will grow next year or what? Can I just keep them in doors?
      -Please help
      -Thanks

-Jason,

-I'd try growing them in the ground as opposed to trying to start them inside. I've had terrible luck with trying to get seeds to grow inside, they do much better outside. Some seeds are only good for a year,so if your seeds are only a few months overdue, you may have some luck sowing them outside.

-Good luck.
      • Viable seeds
        Posted by Nancy (robitaillenancy@hotmail.com) from Montreal 5B on 2002-10-04 14:52:14

Quoting Arthur Kibler: ------------
        -Quoting Happy Gardener: ------------
        -Quoting Jason: ------------
        -Please help
        -Thanks

-Jason,

Each package of seed if they are fresh are viable. If the seeds are a year or older, fewer and fewer seed will be viable yet some will germinate. I would plant seeds indoors about 6 weeks before you can work in the garden. Lack of Light is a major problem so plant only a few seed of each variety and place name on pot.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —