Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Not enough sun

Not enough sun
Posted by Alan (alglasser@cox.net) from Northern Rhode on 2002-05-27 17:40:46

Could anyone send me an e-mail to let me know if there is some sort of artificial light source to help out my vegetable garden. My yard is mostly shady but I have abhout 4-5 hours of sun a day. I am growing tomatoes, petters, lettuce and spinach in about an 8'x8' plot. Is there some sort of electric light source that I can buy to help supplement the amount of sun my garden gets?

Thanks VERY much! Alan in Rhode Island
  • Grow lights
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-05-29 17:02:10

Quoting Alan: ------------
    -Could anyone send me an e-mail to let me know if there is some sort of artificial light source to help out my vegetable garden. My yard is mostly shady but I have abhout 4-5 hours of sun a day. I am growing tomatoes, petters, lettuce and spinach in about an 8'x8' plot. Is there some sort of electric light source that I can buy to help supplement the amount of sun my garden gets?

-Thanks VERY much! Alan in Rhode Island

About the only thing I can think of is grow lights. You would have to rig them up close to the tops of the plants and they tend to be expensive to purchase and run. I don't know if there are ones rated for outdoor use so I would suggest caution here. Do make sure you use and outdoor light fixture and a GFI recepticle to run them on just in case it rains.

If the shade is caused by trees, I would suggest that you limb up the trees to allow more sun to the garden. If you need advice on how to do this, just let me know.

Newt
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —