Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
bird of paradise

bird of paradise
Posted by jennifer from WA on 2002-05-25 12:21:03

I have a bird of paradise that is quite tall and heavy, in fact it is tipping over - Is this normal, also I have had it for 4 years and it has yet to produce a flower, it produces new leaves every year, but no flower. It seems to be thriving other than the "tipping" over and bearing any flowers. Any suggestions?
Thanks
  • Bird of Paradise
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NYC on 2002-05-25 17:36:30

Jennifer - Birds of Paradise rarely flower indoors because they just don't get enough light, even in a south window.

These are very top-heavy plants, particularly if they are healthy and growing vigorously. That does not mean that they need a larger pot in the conventional sense of adding more soil.

Find your self a nice decorative container that is heavy (terra cotta or stone, for example) and large enough for you to put the plant and its existing pot right inside. Put a one to two inch styrofoam or floral foam block inside the decorative pot and under the growing pot. This platform will allow excess water to drain through the soil and away from the bottom of the pot. Put some strips of foam rubbber between the two pots so the inner pot does not wobble. Then spread some moss over the surface to cover up the the space bewteen the two pots.

The added weight of the outer pot will provide ballast and keep the plant from tipping over.

Let me know if any of this is unclear.

Quoting jennifer: ------------
    -I have a bird of paradise that is quite tall and heavy, in fact it is tipping over - Is this normal, also I have had it for 4 years and it has yet to produce a flower, it produces new leaves every year, but no flower. It seems to be thriving other than the "tipping" over and bearing any flowers. Any suggestions?
    -Thanks

Insiders' Plant Information

GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —