Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
What type of soil for mini vegetable garden?

What type of soil for mini vegetable garden?
Posted by Kim from Ontario on 2002-05-23 08:52:05

Hello there! I'm very new to the whole gardening thing, and would like some advice for a container vegetable garden. I am unable to plant directly into the ground, and have decided to experiment with a couple of vegetables in a container. The vegetables I've chosen are parsely, yellow pepper, radish and leaf lettuce. I would
like to know what kind of soil to use as well as any other helpful advice. Can I plant them all in the same container, or should I use separate containers? What type of container should I buy?

Thanks very much in advance for your help with this!

• Soil and pots for veggies
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-05-27 02:00:23

Quoting Kim: ------------
    -Hello there! I'm very new to the whole gardening thing, and would like some advice for a container vegetable garden. I am unable to plant directly into the ground, and have decided to experiment with a couple of vegetables in a container. The vegetables I've chosen are parsely, yellow pepper, radish and leaf lettuce. I would
    -like to know what kind of soil to use as well as any other helpful advice. Can I plant them all in the same container, or should I use separate containers? What type of container should I buy?

-Thanks very much in advance for your help with this!

You could plant everything in the same pot but it would have to be very large. Since this is new to you, I would suggest you try separate pots. Use a good grade of potting soil.

You will need to fertilize and since you will be eating what you plant, I recommend something like fish emulsion. It doesn't smell very good, but you can also water the leaves of your plants for what is called foliar feed.

Terra cotta pots breathe and dry out quickly, so if this is a new hobby, you might want to try plastic.

Good luck with your new hobby,
    Newt
    • container gardens
      Posted by john from mn. 3/4. (0n sh on 2013-11-23 07:22:00

I've been doing doing this for a number of years and here is what I've found:

1. Use square foot gardening guidelines
      2. Buy or build self watering containers
      3. An expensive potting soil is not necessary. Mix cheap bags of dirt, potting soil and compost for a base mix
      4. Set up home composting and add that in every year.
      5. Organic fertilize
      6. Companion plant in same containers
      7. Enjoy fresh veggies, greens, root crops and tomatoes.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —