Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Please help me identify these pests in my plant ...

Please help me identify these pests in my plant ...
Posted by Kim from Ontario on 2002-05-23 08:46:16

I bought a new arrowhead plant yesterday and was quite excited until I got it home and found a HUGE infestation that I had somehow missed seeing in the store...
anyways, I'm new to the houseplant thing and would like some help identifying and killing these bugs! I first noticed these red spiders. I don't think they are spider mites, because they were pretty big, easily visible, about the size of a small ant. This plant had lots! While cleaning them off (with water) I noticed ANOTHER problem, tiny
white bugs that didn't seem to fly and that were hanging around the new buds, near the centre of the plant. Please help me identify these critters!

This is what I have done so far - I washed the plant with soapy water to get the biggest clumps off, then I sprayed with an insecticide. Then I've placed the plant outside, far from my other plants. What else should I do? (Even after spraying a lot last night, I still saw some live ones this morning).

I'm pretty upset that my new plant has this problem, and would appreciate any
advice you could give me. Thanks!
  • Infested plant
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NYC on 2002-05-24 15:50:39

Hi Kim,

The best thing you can do is to take the plant back to the store and get a refund or an exchange. It is irresponsible for a store to sell "damaged goods." The bugs are not only a problem for this plant and for your other plants, they are a clear indication that the plant has other problems as well. Pests infest plants that are under stress from improper light or water, poor quality soil, poor growing environment, et.al. Even if you solve the pest problem, you probably have a plant that will present other problems, as well.

Return it now before it is too late.

Quoting Kim: ------------
    -I bought a new arrowhead plant yesterday and was quite excited until I got it home and found a HUGE infestation that I had somehow missed seeing in the store...
    -anyways, I'm new to the houseplant thing and would like some help identifying and killing these bugs! I first noticed these red spiders. I don't think they are spider mites, because they were pretty big, easily visible, about the size of a small ant. This plant had lots! While cleaning them off (with water) I noticed ANOTHER problem, tiny
    -white bugs that didn't seem to fly and that were hanging around the new buds, near the centre of the plant. Please help me identify these critters!

-This is what I have done so far - I washed the plant with soapy water to get the biggest clumps off, then I sprayed with an insecticide. Then I've placed the plant outside, far from my other plants. What else should I do? (Even after spraying a lot last night, I still saw some live ones this morning).

-I'm pretty upset that my new plant has this problem, and would appreciate any
    -advice you could give me. Thanks!

Insider's Plant Information

• Thanks!
      Posted by Kim from Ontario on 2002-05-27 12:13:53

Thanks Will, that's exactly what I decided to do! :)

Quoting Will Creed, Horticulturist: ------------
      -Hi Kim,

-The best thing you can do is to take the plant back to the store and get a refund or an exchange. It is irresponsible for a store to sell "damaged goods." The bugs are not only a problem for this plant and for your other plants, they are a clear indication that the plant has other problems as well. Pests infest plants that are under stress from improper light or water, poor quality soil, poor growing environment, et.al. Even if you solve the pest problem, you probably have a plant that will present other problems, as well.

-Return it now before it is too late.

-Quoting Kim: ------------
      -I bought a new arrowhead plant yesterday and was quite excited until I got it home and found a HUGE infestation that I had somehow missed seeing in the store...
      -anyways, I'm new to the houseplant thing and would like some help identifying and killing these bugs! I first noticed these red spiders. I don't think they are spider mites, because they were pretty big, easily visible, about the size of a small ant. This plant had lots! While cleaning them off (with water) I noticed ANOTHER problem, tiny
      -white bugs that didn't seem to fly and that were hanging around the new buds, near the centre of the plant. Please help me identify these critters!

-This is what I have done so far - I washed the plant with soapy water to get the biggest clumps off, then I sprayed with an insecticide. Then I've placed the plant outside, far from my other plants. What else should I do? (Even after spraying a lot last night, I still saw some live ones this morning).

• Returning plants
        Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NYC on 2002-05-27 16:58:02

Good for you, Kim! I wish more people would return poor quality plants. It is the only way to get retailers to clean up their act.

Quoting Kim: ------------
        -Thanks Will, that's exactly what I decided to do! :)

-Quoting Will Creed, Horticulturist: ------------
        -Hi Kim,

-The best thing you can do is to take the plant back to the store and get a refund or an exchange. It is irresponsible for a store to sell "damaged goods." The bugs are not only a problem for this plant and for your other plants, they are a clear indication that the plant has other problems as well. Pests infest plants that are under stress from improper light or water, poor quality soil, poor growing environment, et.al. Even if you solve the pest problem, you probably have a plant that will present other problems, as well.

-Return it now before it is too late.

-Quoting Kim: ------------

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —