Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Sour Strawberries

Sour Strawberries
Posted by Allan (nalla1@msn.com) from Southern CA on 2002-05-18 20:08:43

I planted Sequoia strawberries in January. The plants are producing very well, but the berries are not sweet - they are all bitter. I let them fully ripen and they are still not sweet. I had been applying liquid fertilizer about every 2 weeks.
  • Sour Strawberries
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-05-21 10:06:42

The sugar development in ripe berries is controlled by soil moisture as well as sunlight and nutrient availability. Stawberries, up here, grow best in a soil well amended with organic matter, 30 percent, and a lot of cattle manure appled in the fall, with the organic matter helping to keep the soil evenly moist especially during berry production.
  • Sour Berries
    Posted by Happy Gardener from Zone 7 on 2002-05-20 12:05:28

Quoting Allan: ------------
    -I planted Sequoia strawberries in January. The plants are producing very well, but the berries are not sweet - they are all bitter. I let them fully ripen and they are still not sweet. I had been applying liquid fertilizer about every 2 weeks.

Allan,

I am growing strawberries too and I was told by another gardener that strawberries should only be fertilized in the fall, after they've finished producing. Maybe that is why the berries are tasting sour?

I am jealous that you have gotten to taste yours. I've had two that were ripe and I left them on the vine and went back to pick them to find a sneaky squirel had beaten me to them. I am going to get dried blood and more chicken wire to provide more of a barrier.

Good luck with your berries.

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —