Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Which plants should I buy?

Which plants should I buy?
Posted by Kristy (kmalone949@msn.com) from Oregon on 2002-05-17 16:19:36

I recently bought a new house with several "plant shelves". They are 8-10 from the ground and each at least 3 ft tall. My house has many windows and skylights so there is good growing conditions, but I just do not know what plats to buy to grace the shelves with. I would guess I need 5-7 plants and I love foliage plants. My figs are doing incredible in this house. Any suggestions?
  • Selecting plants
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist (wcreed@horticulturalhelp.com) from NYC on 2002-05-18 11:42:08

Hi Kristy,

Most importantly the plants you choose should match the available light. In particular, it is important to know how many hours (if any) the sun shines directly on the various shelves each day. Some plants require direct sunlight, while others must be protected from it. I have written an article on assessing light and matching plants to various light levels that I will send to you (or anyone else) who requests it.

Once you know if you need high, medium or low light plants, then you will have to decide what sized plants will fit on your shelves and whether you want upright or hanging (vining) plants. Finally, select plants that suit your personality; nurturing people do best with plants that need constant watering and attention; more laid folks do better with plants that thrive on neglect.

Quoting Kristy: ------------
    -I recently bought a new house with several "plant shelves". They are 8-10 from the ground and each at least 3 ft tall. My house has many windows and skylights so there is good growing conditions, but I just do not know what plats to buy to grace the shelves with. I would guess I need 5-7 plants and I love foliage plants. My figs are doing incredible in this house. Any suggestions?

Insider's Plant Information

GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —