Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Help! Birds ate all my seedlings!

Help! Birds ate all my seedlings!
Posted by Carol from Brooklyn, NY on 2002-05-14 15:10:46

I recently planted several tomato and basil seedlings and in one week the birds have eaten them all. The are also eating my pansies that border the garden. The seedlings were aprox. 4-5" high. This has never happened before. Should I wait until the seedlings are a bit bigger to plant again? Can anyone help me?

Carol
Brooklyn, NY
  • Darn birds
    Posted by Lori from New Jersey on 2002-05-14 16:19:38

Try a rubber snake - really
    Quoting Carol: ------------
    -I recently planted several tomato and basil seedlings and in one week the birds have eaten them all. The are also eating my pansies that border the garden. The seedlings were aprox. 4-5" high. This has never happened before. Should I wait until the seedlings are a bit bigger to plant again? Can anyone help me?

-Carol
    -Brooklyn, NY
    • try row covers
      Posted by Sam from Seattle-7B on 2002-06-14 11:05:55

I had the same problem up here in seattle- try covering the seedlings with row covers until they're quite tall ( a few inches, I think? ) I'm using covers to keep slugs and birds out. S
      Quoting Lori: ------------
      -Try a rubber snake - really
      -Quoting Carol: ------------
      -I recently planted several tomato and basil seedlings and in one week the birds have eaten them all. The are also eating my pansies that border the garden. The seedlings were aprox. 4-5" high. This has never happened before. Should I wait until the seedlings are a bit bigger to plant again? Can anyone help me?

-Carol
      -Brooklyn, NY
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —