Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
When growing from seed...

When growing from seed...
Posted by Kim from Ontario on 2002-05-14 13:56:51

why do you have to "transplant the seedling"? Everything I've read has said that when the seedlings get to be about 3-4 inches, you should transplant them into separate pots. Why is this necessary? Why can't you continue to grow the seedling in the pot where you originally started? Some of my seedlings look so fragile, I really don't want to uproot them if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • transplanting seedlings
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NYC on 2002-05-14 19:38:34

You make a very good point, Kim. The instructions that you refer to are not as clear as they should be on this point. Usually many seeds are germinated together in the same container at the same time. They do need to be thinned out or separated so they don't compete with one another for availbale light and space. The reason this done after the second set of leaves emerge is to avoid long entwined roots that are very difficult to separate later on.

In cases where you have only one or two seedlings germinating in a pot, then there is no reason to transplant them until they outgrow their pot, like any other plant.

Quoting Kim: ------------
    -why do you have to "transplant the seedling"? Everything I've read has said that when the seedlings get to be about 3-4 inches, you should transplant them into separate pots. Why is this necessary? Why can't you continue to grow the seedling in the pot where you originally started? Some of my seedlings look so fragile, I really don't want to uproot them if I don't have to.

-Thanks in advance for your help!

Insiders' Plant Information

• Thanks!
      Posted by Kim from Ontario on 2002-05-15 08:49:01

Thanks for the info!

Quoting Will Creed, Horticulturist: ------------
      -You make a very good point, Kim. The instructions that you refer to are not as clear as they should be on this point. Usually many seeds are germinated together in the same container at the same time. They do need to be thinned out or separated so they don't compete with one another for availbale light and space. The reason this done after the second set of leaves emerge is to avoid long entwined roots that are very difficult to separate later on.

-In cases where you have only one or two seedlings germinating in a pot, then there is no reason to transplant them until they outgrow their pot, like any other plant.

-Quoting Kim: ------------
      -why do you have to "transplant the seedling"? Everything I've read has said that when the seedlings get to be about 3-4 inches, you should transplant them into separate pots. Why is this necessary? Why can't you continue to grow the seedling in the pot where you originally started? Some of my seedlings look so fragile, I really don't want to uproot them if I don't have to.

-Thanks in advance for your help!
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —