Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
re-planting

re-planting
Posted by Leslie from Boston on 2002-05-12 19:53:00

First of all, I am a houseplant amateur. A piece of one of my plants fell off, and I put it in a glass many months ago. Much to my surprise, it has grown A LOT of roots, and I have continued to water it in the glass. There seems to be more and more green fungus at the bottom of the glass, and I think it might be time to pot it in soil - I just don't know if I should because I don't want to kill it as it's grown so much. Some great advise would be appreciated!
  • rooted cuttings
    Posted by Will Creed, Horticulturist from NYC on 2002-05-13 20:55:57

Hi Leslie,

It would help to know what kind of plant you have rooting in water. Nonetheless, you should consider transferring your cutting to soil. Some cuttings last longer than others in plain water, but most reach a point where they start to languish due to lack of nutrients. That is why soil is better over the long run.

Use a pot just big enough to contain the roots and use a soilless, peat-based potting mix. It is important to keep the mix damp, but not constantly wet until the roots make the transition in the potting mix.

BTW, the green stuff in the water is algae. It is harmless. However, it is an indication that you may not be changing the water regularly. Don't just top off the water, replace it.

Quoting Leslie: ------------
    -First of all, I am a houseplant amateur. A piece of one of my plants fell off, and I put it in a glass many months ago. Much to my surprise, it has grown A LOT of roots, and I have continued to water it in the glass. There seems to be more and more green fungus at the bottom of the glass, and I think it might be time to pot it in soil - I just don't know if I should because I don't want to kill it as it's grown so much. Some great advise would be appreciated!

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —