Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Tomato leaves/stems

Tomato leaves/stems
Posted by Shirley from IL on 2002-05-07 22:46:31

I started tomatoes from seed. The plants came up and are looking good with one exception. Some of them have a purple color on the underneath of the leaves and the stems are somewhat purple. Is this something to be concerned about or is it natural?
  • Purplish leaves
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-05-14 07:09:51

This may be an indication of a nutrient deficiency, probably phosphorus, which may be related to temperature, moisture levels, or just not enough of the nutrient in the soil mix.
  • Purple stems and leaves
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-05-08 03:11:18

Quoting Shirley: ------------
    -I started tomatoes from seed. The plants came up and are looking good with one exception. Some of them have a purple color on the underneath of the leaves and the stems are somewhat purple. Is this something to be concerned about or is it natural?

It's probably the variety of tomato that you have. Do you know which one it is?

Newt
    • tomato leaves/stems
      Posted by Shirley from IL on 2002-05-09 10:23:43

Quoting Newt: ------------
      -Quoting Shirley: ------------
      -I started tomatoes from seed. The plants came up and are looking good with one exception. Some of them have a purple color on the underneath of the leaves and the stems are somewhat purple. Is this something to be concerned about or is it natural?

-It's probably the variety of tomato that you have. Do you know which one it is?

-Newt
      • tomato leaves/stems
        Posted by Shirley from IL on 2002-05-09 10:26:44

Quoting Shirley: The purple color on the tomato leaves and stems appear on almost every variety, some of which are Big Beef, Mr Stripey, Early Golaiath and Champion. They do appear to be on the smaller plants and did the bigger ones. ------------
        -Quoting Newt: ------------

-It's probably the variety of tomato that you have. Do you know which one it is?

-Newt
        • purple stems and leaves
          Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-05-11 02:30:52

Quoting Shirley: ------------
          -Quoting Shirley: The purple color on the tomato leaves and stems appear on almost every variety, some of which are Big Beef, Mr Stripey, Early Golaiath and Champion. They do appear to be on the smaller plants and did the bigger ones. ------------

-Newt

I notice you are in Illinois. Did you take them out and then bring them indoors? Sometimes that happens when they get warm and get chilled again. It shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Newt
          • thanks
            Posted by shirley from IL on 2002-05-11 22:47:04

Thanks for the information. I did not take them outdoors and then indoors, but they possibly could have experienced a temperature change. I'll hope for the best. If it ever quits raining I will get them in the garden where they belong.
            quoting Newt: ------------
            -Quoting Shirley: The purple color on the tomato leaves and stems appear on almost every variety, some of which are Big Beef, Mr Stripey, Early Golaiath and Champion. They do appear to be on the smaller plants and did the bigger ones. ------------

-Newt

-I notice you are in Illinois. Did you take them out and then bring them indoors? Sometimes that happens when they get warm and get chilled again. It shouldn't be anything to worry about.

-Newt
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —