Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
peppers

peppers
Posted by Beth from CT. on 2002-05-06 09:00:04

I'm a new gardener and I've started most of my seeds inside, the only thing that hasn't come up yet is the peppers. Does anyone know how long the germination period is?I bought heirloom seeds and the envolope doesn't say. I think i may have over watered the seeds, It's been 18 days. If you can help I appreciate it. Thanks~Beth
  • Peppers
    Posted by Ceil Wallace (ctyankeebulldog@earthlink.net) from CT/5 on 2002-05-09 14:59:57

Beth,

Peppers do take quite a long time to germinate. Although it's too late to do this now, I usually pre-soak my pepper and tomato seeds by enclosing them in wet paper toweling, place the little packets in plastic bag and keep it warm for a couple of days (I place the bag on top of my VCR!) Sometimes when I open up the packets the seeds are already sprouting. Then I just plant them in little pots as usual until they can go out into the garden.

Don't give up on yours yet.

Quoting Beth: ------------
    I'm a new gardener and I've started most of my seeds inside, the only thing that hasn't come up yet is the peppers. Does anyone know how long the germination period is?I bought heirloom seeds and the envolope doesn't say. I think i may have over watered the seeds, It's been 18 days. If you can help I appreciate it. Thanks~Beth
  • Peppers
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-05-08 02:15:03

Quoting Beth: ------------

Peppers can take 21 days to germinate. Have faith. :-)

Newt
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —