Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Hibiscus

Hibiscus
Posted by Happy Gardener from Virginia - Zone on 2002-04-30 12:25:31

A lady I work with has two hibiscus bushes that she rescued from K-Mart. She told me she has had them for about 3 years. They are outdoors and bloom beautiful and get about 4 or 5 feet tall. In the winter they die back, but come back the next year.

She doesn't know what kind of hibiscus these are and would like to know. They blooms are red on one and orange on the other. We were also wondering if we could root another plant from hers?

If anyone can solve this mystery we would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!
  • Propagation of Perennial Hibiscus
    Posted by randygibbs (randy_gibbs@hotmail.com) from Va. Va.Beach Va on 2002-07-08 13:25:00

Quoting Happy Gardener: ------------
    -A lady I work with has two hibiscus bushes that she rescued from K-Mart. She told me she has had them for about 3 years. They are outdoors and bloom beautiful and get about 4 or 5 feet tall. In the winter they die back, but come back the next year.

-She doesn't know what kind of hibiscus these are and would like to know. They blooms are red on one and orange on the other. We were also wondering if we could root another plant from hers?

-If anyone can solve this mystery we would appreciate any assistance.

-Thanks!The Hibiscus you are talking about are Perennial Hibiscus.Most all can be started from seed as well as cuttings.The seed have to stay on the plants and mature,turn dark and dry on the plants before you can collect and sow,best to sow the seed in late spring.Randy Gibbs in Va.Beach Va.
    • sow
      Posted by cindy Green (liteflames79@aol.com) from ohio 5-A on 2005-08-11 08:06:00

If you'r sapposto sow in spring, What do we put our seed's in, Entill then?
      thanks cindy
      pss wear do I go to get my answer.
      whats a URL

liteflames79@aol.com/ cindy's

• Saving Perennial Hibiscus seed/where
        Posted by Randy (randy_gibbs@hotmail.com) from Va. Zone-8 on 2005-08-11 01:34:00

I store my seed in the Garage in a plastic container or zip lock bag and sow them in the spring but first soak the seed in temped water overnight so this process will cause the seed to germinate faster. I think Cindy asked this question. Randy
    • sow
      Posted by cindy Green (liteflames79@aol.com) from ohio 5-A on 2005-08-11 08:05:00

If you'r sapposto sow in spring, What do we put our seed's in, Entill then?
      thanks cindy
      pss wear do I go to get my answer.
      whats a URL

liteflames79@aol.com/ cindy's

• Hibiscus fun!
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-05-02 01:10:57

Quoting Happy Gardener: ------------
    -A lady I work with has two hibiscus bushes that she rescued from K-Mart. She told me she has had them for about 3 years. They are outdoors and bloom beautiful and get about 4 or 5 feet tall. In the winter they die back, but come back the next year.

-She doesn't know what kind of hibiscus these are and would like to know. They blooms are red on one and orange on the other. We were also wondering if we could root another plant from hers?

-Thanks!

Hi Happy Gardener! It's me again. Gosh, you are lucky to have such a generous coworker.

Here's what I found on propagating TROPICAL hibiscus, but I think you could do the same for HARDY hisbiscus, which is what your friend has.

Tropical hibiscus can be propagated by stem cuttings. This method is very simple and effective. Take a 3-4" cutting off a healthy, mature hibiscus (the cutting should contain between 1 and 4 nodes). Dip the basal end of the cutting into a rooting hormone containing 0.1% or 1000 ppm IBA. Then, plant the cutting in a light potting mix such as Sunshine Mix or PRO-MIX.

Here's a site where you might find out which ones you have or find sites where you can look at pictures. The red could be Lord Baltimore, as that seems to be popular in this area, but that is just a guess. There are so many. Knowing when she found them could help to identify which ones were popular in that year.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/hibisc/

This one has a lot of pics.

http://web.wt.net/%7Estrhibs/welcome.htm

Here's another where you can click around and look at pics.

http://art.siteseek.com/srch/%7B96047%7D

Here's a link that should be helpful.

Newt

Propagation of Landscape Plants

• Hibiscus Mystery
      Posted by Happy Gardener from Virginia - Zone on 2002-05-02 11:56:30

Quoting Newt: ------------
      -Quoting Happy Gardener: ------------

-Thanks!

-Hi Happy Gardener! It's me again. Gosh, you are lucky to have such a generous coworker.

-Here's what I found on propagating TROPICAL hibiscus, but I think you could do the same for HARDY hisbiscus, which is what your friend has.

-Tropical hibiscus can be propagated by stem cuttings. This method is very simple and effective. Take a 3-4" cutting off a healthy, mature hibiscus (the cutting should contain between 1 and 4 nodes). Dip the basal end of the cutting into a rooting hormone containing 0.1% or 1000 ppm IBA. Then, plant the cutting in a light potting mix such as Sunshine Mix or PRO-MIX.

-Here's a site where you might find out which ones you have or find sites where you can look at pictures. The red could be Lord Baltimore, as that seems to be popular in this area, but that is just a guess. There are so many. Knowing when she found them could help to identify which ones were popular in that year.

-http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/hibisc/

-This one has a lot of pics.

-http://web.wt.net/%7Estrhibs/welcome.htm

-Here's another where you can click around and look at pics.

-http://art.siteseek.com/srch/%7B96047%7D

-Here's a link that should be helpful.

-Newt

Thanks Newt. I will pass on the info. to her. Hopefully we can root some of her plants to get some more. They sound gorgeous from what she has described. I actually have a tropical hibiscus I bought last summer and have kept all winter. I've already gotten one bloom off of it about two weeks ago. I am going to try and root another from it.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —