Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
seeds vs. plants

seeds vs. plants
Posted by Ingrid from West Hartford, on 2002-04-27 11:52:46

I am a novice gardener and in the past, have purchased young plants for the garden (tomato plants, zucchini plants, herb plants, etc.), planted them into the ground, and been successful. I am wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of planting seeds vs. plants? Which should I be doing? Is there a reason for one over the other?
  • seeds vs plants
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-05-02 00:34:41

Quoting Ingrid: ------------
    -I am a novice gardener and in the past, have purchased young plants for the garden (tomato plants, zucchini plants, herb plants, etc.), planted them into the ground, and been successful. I am wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of planting seeds vs. plants? Which should I be doing? Is there a reason for one over the other?

"I am wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of planting seeds vs. plants?"

Advantages would be the opportunity of having the satisfaction of watching and helping create the entire process. Another reason, and the reason many people prefer seeds, is that you can get a lot more variety. There are many more varieties of seeds available than plants. Also, you would be able to start them earlier indoors and get a jump on the growing season. Considering that you live in Conn, that could be advantageous to you.

Disadvantages I have found with seeds are the space to keep the seedlings during the cold weather, time devoted to caring for the seedlings, and sometimes the appropriate lighting conditions.

"Which should I be doing?"

Whatever makes you happy and you have the time for.

"Is there a reason for one over the other?"

See first answer.

Try experimenting. I found that winter sowing works better for me. The only drawback is that you can't grow tender annuals this way. Here's a link that explains how.

Enjoy,
    Newt

How to Winter Sow Seeds Outdoors

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —