Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
frost damaged tomatoes will they survive

frost damaged tomatoes will they survive
Posted by curt from KcMo/zone 5 on 2002-04-27 09:22:11

I have frost damage on some of the laeves of my tomato plants. They are about a foot and a half tall, most of the plant is still green. They are of the heirloom variety and I would hate to have to pull them. spent alot of time growing them this far. Just need to know if they will survive and produce ok
  • Frost damage
    Posted by Shirley from OH/5 on 2002-04-29 09:20:04

You may try trimming back the dead parts on the tomato plants. This will show you if any of the plant is alive. Next time you have frost, cover the plant with newspaper or a paper bag. They also sell water walls to put in place to keep the plants warm on cold nights. I would still place some paper over them and make sure you remove the paper in the AM.
  • frost damaged tomatos
    Posted by Steve from NY on 2002-04-27 10:10:11

Quoting curt: ------------
    -I have frost damage on some of the laeves of my tomato plants. They are about a foot and a half tall, most of the plant is still green. They are of the heirloom variety and I would hate to have to pull them. spent alot of time growing them this far. Just need to know if they will survive and produce ok

I grew tomatos into late November last year here in NY. I covered the plants with plastic on the sub-freezing nights that may have first occurred in Oct. Some portions of the plants that were in contact with the plastic were killed by the cold, but the rest of the plants were not affected, and tomatos were still growing until close to the end of Nov, where I gave up with protection attempts, since the frequency of sub-freezing nights, and extended sub-freezing mornings, exceeded my desire to save the plants. It was interesting to find out that the dozens of green tomatos all ripened almost as well, after bringing inside and residing on a window sill, as vine-ripened ones, although it took several weeks for them to ripen.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —