Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
I have this herb

I have this herb
Posted by Charley (seedy3@kuentos.guam.net) from Guam on 2002-04-26 00:20:31

I have this herb that I have no idea what it is, the person that gave it to me said it was oregano, but I have other oregano plants, but this one is in no way related to them. The leaves can get as big as 3" across, bright green and almost heart shaped. The stem is also bright green and not woody as most oreganos are. It has a very strong oregano type smell to it when the leaves are crushed. If anyone has any idea please e-mail me. I can also send you a picture of it if you need.
Thanks
Charley
  • Re Charley's question on oregano
    Posted by Judy from Florida on 2002-04-30 23:47:33

Charley,
    Your herb is Spanish Thyme (sometimes called Guyana Thyme). I have heard folks call it 'oregano'.
    Quoting Charley: ------------
    -I have this herb that I have no idea what it is, the person that gave it to me said it was oregano, but I have other oregano plants, but this one is in no way related to them. The leaves can get as big as 3" across, bright green and almost heart shaped. The stem is also bright green and not woody as most oreganos are. It has a very strong oregano type smell to it when the leaves are crushed. If anyone has any idea please e-mail me. I can also send you a picture of it if you need.
    -Thanks
    -Charley
  • Re Charley's question on oregano
    Posted by Judy from Florida on 2002-04-30 23:45:06

-I have this herb that I have no idea what it is, the person that gave it to me said it was oregano, but I have other oregano plants, but this one is in no way related to them. The leaves can get as big as 3" across, bright green and almost heart shaped. The stem is also bright green and not woody as most oreganos are. It has a very strong oregano type smell to it when the leaves are crushed. If anyone has any idea please e-mail me. I can also send you a picture of it if you need.
    -Thanks
    -Charley
  • What dunce I am
    Posted by Charley (matflex@kuentos.guam.net) from Guam on 2002-04-26 01:24:13

I put the wrong e-mail addy in the first post :)
    • I have this herb
      Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-28 01:37:47

-I put the wrong e-mail addy in the first post :)

Could it be basil? There are some very large leaved varieties.

Newt
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —