Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
mites!

mites!
Posted by jamie (jjeacameron@aol.com) from oregon on 2002-04-23 17:54:05

can marigold pulp be used as pest repellent/pesticide?
  • mite control
    Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@horticulturalhelp.com) from NY on 2002-04-24 15:50:48

Hi Jamie,

I have never heard of marigold pulp being used as an insect repellent. I know that many folks use it for medicinal purposes. Chrysanthemums contain a substance called pyrethrum that is an effective and commonly sold pesticide. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

Just about any liquid substance, including plain water, can be used to deter spider mites. Mites thrive in hot, dry conditions and do not like moisture. Soap and water is as effective as anything. The reason is not that soap is toxic to the mites, but rather the soap helps spread the water over the entire leaf surface. The real key to mite control is getting thorough coverage of all leaf and stem surfaces. If you miss a few of the tiny critters, they will live to breed and multiply. Thus, it is not so much WHAT you use, but HOW WELL you use it.

I have an article on safe pest control that I will send to anyone who sends their request to me at wcreed@Horticulturalhelp.com

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Will Creed, Horticulturist
    Horticultural Help, NYC
    Email: wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

P.S. You may be interested in my website at www.HorticulturalHelp.com

Quoting jamie: ------------
    -can marigold pulp be used as pest repellent/pesticide?

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —