Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Pennyroal

Pennyroal
Posted by Leslie from California on 2002-04-20 20:39:42

I do all my gardening in containers (tomatoes, roses, carrots, peppers, lemons,etc) and am thinking of using the groundcover pennyroyal instead of something like wood chips to help keep moisture in the pots. Will this plant take over the vegetables and flowers? Does anyone know if this is a good idea? The pennyroyal plant is supposed to be a natural ant repellent, too, so it could have added benefits.
Leslie
  • Pennyroyal
    Posted by jdmiller (herbgarden101@yahoo.com) from Indiana/Zone 6 on 2002-07-25 01:52:46

Quoting Leslie: ------------
    -I do all my gardening in containers (tomatoes, roses, carrots, peppers, lemons,etc) and am thinking of using the groundcover pennyroyal instead of something like wood chips to help keep moisture in the pots. Will this plant take over the vegetables and flowers? Does anyone know if this is a good idea? The pennyroyal plant is supposed to be a natural ant repellent, too, so it could have added benefits.
    -Leslie
    Pennyroyal is a member of the mint family, so it does tend to creep although not as prolifically as mints. It probably would not make a good ground cover in your pots. You might take a look at Roman chamomile (perennial) or creeping thyme.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —