Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Burgundy Rubber plant's slow death

Burgundy Rubber plant's slow death
Posted by Nancy from Illinois on 2002-04-19 13:23:37

HELP!
My rubber plant (ficus elastica 'burgundy') was well on it's way to success for the longest time. It was thriving, producing many leaves and new shoots. It is terribly rootbound, but have read that this is okay for this species. Now, all the leaves are dropping off rapidly (several large, green ones in a day), even the new shoots turn brown and the leaves fall off before they even get big. I try to keep the soil moderately moist, and my room is slightly humid.
What can I do to save it's life??
  • Rubber plant
    Posted by Will Creed from NYC on 2002-04-19 17:31:18

Sometimes plants can be quite perverse. If we under or overwater a bit or don't provide quite enough light, the plant doesn't have the courtesy to show any symptoms of suffering. Then one day it just all seems to fall apart. I suspect something like that with your ficus elastica.

The first thing to check is the rootball just before you would ordinarily water it. Pull it out of the pot and inspect the rootball. If it is still quite wet, then you know you have been overwatering or the soil doesn't drain properly. Likewise if the rootball is very dry right to the bottom, then you know that it is badly potbund or underwatered.

The other likely cause is inadequate light. Your ficus really should be right in front of a bright window. In reduced light it will exhibit the symptoms you described.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Quoting Nancy: ------------
    -HELP!
    -My rubber plant (ficus elastica 'burgundy') was well on it's way to success for the longest time. It was thriving, producing many leaves and new shoots. It is terribly rootbound, but have read that this is okay for this species. Now, all the leaves are dropping off rapidly (several large, green ones in a day), even the new shoots turn brown and the leaves fall off before they even get big. I try to keep the soil moderately moist, and my room is slightly humid.
    -What can I do to save it's life??

Insider's Plant Information

• Ficus Burgundy Won't get teller?
      Posted by Angela from AL on 2005-09-29 11:10:00

I recently inherited a ficus Burgundy from a co-worker who has had it for years. It is only about 6" high. Is there anything i can do to help it get any bigger or is it stunted for life? I was reading that it would grow to be about 15'. It is still in its original little pot would repotting it help it grow taller?
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —