Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
CHILENO PEPPER SEEDS

CHILENO PEPPER SEEDS
Posted by MICHAEL DENNEY (DENNEYM726@CS.COM) from CALIFORNIA on 2002-04-19 02:53:47

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR CHILENO PEPPER SEEDS OR THE PLANTS FOR 2 YEARS. I WAS RAISED IN THE UPPER MOJAVE DESERT IN CALIFORNIA. SEVERAL OF THE AREA RESIDENTS GREW THESE PEPPERS, INCLUDING MY FATHER. THESE PEPPER HAVE A GREAT TASTE, THEY ARE HOT BUT NOT HOT. THEY WERE JUST AS GOOD WHEN THEY HAD BEEN CANNED.
CAN ANY BODY HELP!! I WOULD PAY FOR THE SEEDS OR IF CLOSE TO THE SACRAMENTO AREA I COULD BUY SOME PLANTS.

THANK YOU

CHILENO PEPPER

• Chileno Seeds Wanted
    Posted by Pam (pamrossimarketing@yahoo.com) from New Mexico on 2009-11-26 01:19:00

I am looking for chileno seeds! In exchange for information, I would be happy to provide the most delicious canning recipe for these peppers! Thanks! pamrossimarketing@yahoo.com (575)635-6614. Call or email!
    • Chilaino pepper
      Posted by Susie Davis from 9california on 2014-04-04 02:46:00

I lived in Bishop Ca for 25 years. I now live in northern Ca. I would LOVE to grow Chilaino peppers! If you know where to get seeds or plants, pease e mail me.
    • Chileno (Lone Pine) Peppers
      Posted by Janice Scandrett from Nevada on 2012-08-28 05:48:00

Were you able to find some seeds for the chileno peppers. I have some old seeds from when we lived in Lone Pine but they are getting really tired so need a new supply. Thanks.
    • chilenos
      Posted by kent mabon (kenmabon@hotmail.com) from porterville, ca on 2012-07-03 10:21:00

my brother and I also can't find a supplier of chieno pepper seeds. Have you found one yet?
      • Chileno (Lone Pine) Peppers
        Posted by Janice Scandrett from Nevada on 2012-08-28 05:52:00

Have you found a seed source? My seeds are getting really old!
    • Chileno seeds
      Posted by John (woodeh1@yahoo.com) from So Calif on 2011-12-19 12:18:00

I have 4 plants that I got in a nursery in Bishop Ca. I have had them for about 3 years now and in the winter I remove the plants from my garden into large pots and keep them in my garage to avoid frost. In the spring I re-plant them each year and I get great yield of peppers. I have saved some pepper seeds and am trying to grow new plants from them but havnt been successful yet but will try again this year. I have several peppers ready to dry out and store.
      I also use the old Owens Valley recipe for pickling them. Any info on growing plants from seeds would be appreciated.
      Thx
      John
      • Owens Valley pickled Chileno chile recipe
        Posted by Martin Ted Nelson from Nevada on 2012-06-25 12:29:00

Hello,
        I was wondering where I can find that recipe for pickling chileno peppers ?A reply would be appreciated.

Martin Ted Nelson

• Recipe wanted-pickling/canning Chileno Peppers
          Posted by michael wells from glassell park, on 2012-09-20 04:10:00

Am looking for an authentic recipe from the Lone Pine/ Eastern Sierra Nevada area for pickling or canning the Chileno Peppers (Italian Wax Peppers). THANKS.
          • Chileno Chiie Canning Receipt
            Posted by Linda Carrasco Treacy (8764391@charter.net) from Nevada on 2014-07-28 03:58:00

Here's our (5 generations)Lone Pine family receipt for canning Chilenos: (Obtain plants from Bishop Home Street Nursery by placing your name on the waiting list in the Spring. They send seeds from Owens Valley to southern CA. Young plants are shipped back to the nursery in April. This year we purchased our plants from the Bishop Nursery in the last week of April.)

Prepare pint canning jars in normal manner of boiling jars and lids. Try to keep all canning items clean/sterile throughout the canning process.

Pack tight raw chillies in clean Pint jars. Add 2 pealed cloves/buttons of garlic cut in pieces, 1 Tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon chopped Oregano leaves. Fill jar to top with cold Apple Cidar vinegar. Seal and let stand at least 6 weeks. (Remember, the large the chili the hotter the taste.)
    • CHILENO PEPPERS
      Posted by RICK VALDEZ from ANAHEIM, CA on 2011-06-08 07:08:00

IM LOOKING CHILENO PEPPERS OR SEEDS...THESE ARE ALSO CALLED LONE PINE CHILIES. MY AUNT HAS THE BEST CANNING RECIPE AND WOULD GLADLY SHARE HER SECRET FOR A LITTLE INFO. THANKS

LONE PINE CHILIES WANTED

• Chileno peppers
    Posted by Codie Hart from California on 2009-07-05 01:12:00

These peppers are also known as Italian Wax Peppers. You can get seed at www.peppergal.com. You can get a brief history of the peppers (and the name confusion) at www.brunosmarketplace.com

Peppergal

• chileno plants
      Posted by Richard Belton from ca on 2014-07-13 08:39:00

i found chileno plants at a small heirloom seed store in fallbrook ,ca I think it was called linda's heirloom seeds and plants. I grw them and started to harvest this week. the peppers are tasty and slightly hot. I am now trying to find a recipe to pickle them like the sierra nevada chilenos. I will be saving a few to dry the seeds.

Richard Belton

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —