Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Chamaedorea seifrizii dropping leaflets

Chamaedorea seifrizii dropping leaflets
Posted by Terry from VT on 2002-04-18 13:18:31

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me. I have a bamboo palm that has a number of disturbing symptoms. I bought it a couple of years ago and haven't repotted it since, so I suspect that's at the root of most of it, but maybe there's something else going on.

Conditions:
It's in a 12" pot; is in a pretty shady corner of the living room; gets misted daily; watered infrequently, but soil is kept moist; fed a few times per year.

Symptoms:
Over the last couple of weeks, the older fronds are dropping leaflets; medium aged leaflets are turning black on the ends; new shoots look fine and come up regularly.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Terry
  • bamboo palm
    Posted by Will Creed from NYC on 2002-04-18 16:29:57

Hi Terry,

Your bamboo palm is fine in its 12" pot. It will never need a larger one. These palms do best in lots of very bright indirect light with some early and late day direct sun. Run in front of an east window is best.

In reduced light, yours will gradually drop off its older (lower) fronds as it adds new ones on top. The new growth will be somewhat better adapted to the reduced light. In time, you will have lots of tall canes that are bare at the bottom with 2 or 3 fronds on the top of each cane. This will occur even in good light, but at a much slower rate. Cutting down older canes at the base and increased light will help promote new cane growth from the roots.

In reduced light it is also important not to overwater. The black leaf tips are an indication that you are not allowing the soil to dry out sufficiently in between waterings. The top 2 to 3 inches of soil should feel dry before you water. I would also stop fertilizing because that will contribute to tip burn.

The daily misting will help curb spider mites, but nonetheless you should check the undersides of the newer fronds regularly for signs of dust-like specks.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Will Creed, Horticulturist
    Horticultural Help, NYC
    Email: wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

Quoting Terry: ------------
    -Hi All,

-I hope someone can help me. I have a bamboo palm that has a number of disturbing symptoms. I bought it a couple of years ago and haven't repotted it since, so I suspect that's at the root of most of it, but maybe there's something else going on.

-Conditions:
    -It's in a 12" pot; is in a pretty shady corner of the living room; gets misted daily; watered infrequently, but soil is kept moist; fed a few times per year.

-Symptoms:
    -Over the last couple of weeks, the older fronds are dropping leaflets; medium aged leaflets are turning black on the ends; new shoots look fine and come up regularly.

-Any ideas? Thanks!
    -Terry

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —