Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Peppers

Peppers
Posted by John (jpfcf@charter.net) from WI - 4a on 2002-04-15 22:47:33

I haven't had a garden for years, so this question which may sound dumb to most of you. I have a very limited space that I would like to grow some hot and bell peppers in. The area gets full sun about 75% of the day.

Question: spacing of plants and what is the typical yeild of most plants?
  • Peppers
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-18 04:58:40

Quoting John: ------------
    -I haven't had a garden for years, so this question which may sound dumb to most of you. I have a very limited space that I would like to grow some hot and bell peppers in. The area gets full sun about 75% of the day.

-Question: spacing of plants and what is the typical yeild of most plants?

You've gotten some great advice here, but I would like to add that if you plant the hot peppers next to the bell peppers, you will have ALL hot peppers.

Newt
    • Sweet/Hot Peppers
      Posted by Janet (fieldjanlo@aol.com) from GA-7 on 2002-04-18 18:23:28

Quoting Newt: ------------
      -Quoting John: ------------
      -I haven't had a garden for years, so this question which may sound dumb to most of you. I have a very limited space that I would like to grow some hot and bell peppers in. The area gets full sun about 75% of the day.

-Question: spacing of plants and what is the typical yeild of most plants?

-You've gotten some great advice here, but I would like to add that if you plant the hot peppers next to the bell peppers, you will have ALL hot peppers.

-Newt

Newt, how far apart must hot peppers and sweet peppers be placed so that all will not be hot?
  • Peppers
    Posted by Shirley from OH/5 on 2002-04-17 09:25:28

Hi John,
    Plant your peppers about 18 inches apart with 24 inches between the rows. Use a 1-2-2 ratio ferilizer, such as 5-10-10 or 8-16-16. Ideal conditions are a temperature between 65 and 80 F with soil that is well supplied with moisture. The number of peppers per plant varies with the variety but bell pepper plants can produce 6 to 8 nice peppers per plant.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —