Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
christmas cactus care

christmas cactus care
Posted by jean from canada on 2002-04-14 20:42:58

I have a very large christmas cactus plant.(it is outgrowing a 16 inch pot)
It was only recently repotted. It has bloomed twice since christmas and is very healthy. I am wondering if I can seperate it into two smaller plants as the larger pot is quite heavy to move. Any advice on dividing this large cactus would be of great help.

jean

• Holiday cactus
    Posted by Will Creed from NY on 2002-04-17 16:28:39

Hi Jean,

Holiday cacti do best when very potbound. Yours must be a gorgeous specimen if it is filling a 16" pot! Dividing it is very risky and I don't think it is worth the risk. I say this also because I don't believe there is any reason for you to ever have to move it into a larger pot. Just be happy with what you have and keep it in the same pot until you are ready to pass it along to your heirs in a very long time!

Quoting jean: ------------
    -I have a very large christmas cactus plant.(it is outgrowing a 16 inch pot)
    -It was only recently repotted. It has bloomed twice since christmas and is very healthy. I am wondering if I can seperate it into two smaller plants as the larger pot is quite heavy to move. Any advice on dividing this large cactus would be of great help.

Insiders' Plant Information

• sad Christmas Cactus
      Posted by Lori from New Jersey on 2002-05-15 10:39:16

I need some tips on growing a Christmas cactus - mine is not happy. I bought it about 6 months ago and it doesn't seem to have grown at all. In fact, it has lost leaves (entire stems have fallen off from the bottom). What do I need to do to make it happy?
      Quoting Will Creed: ------------
      -Hi Jean,

-Holiday cacti do best when very potbound. Yours must be a gorgeous specimen if it is filling a 16" pot! Dividing it is very risky and I don't think it is worth the risk. I say this also because I don't believe there is any reason for you to ever have to move it into a larger pot. Just be happy with what you have and keep it in the same pot until you are ready to pass it along to your heirs in a very long time!

-Quoting jean: ------------
      -I have a very large christmas cactus plant.(it is outgrowing a 16 inch pot)
      -It was only recently repotted. It has bloomed twice since christmas and is very healthy. I am wondering if I can seperate it into two smaller plants as the larger pot is quite heavy to move. Any advice on dividing this large cactus would be of great help.
      • Reply to Sad Cristmas Cactus
        Posted by Holly from TN on 2006-06-24 08:20:00

Jean,
        The reply to the "Sad Christmas Cactus" is for the previous question. I think there's been a typo! Actually, I'd like to see your answer to it.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —