Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
livingrock-plant

livingrock-plant
Posted by Diana (dmcmahan248021@yahoo.com) from Mich on 2002-04-14 12:13:00

I have a plant called the livingrock
dont have much to go on to take care of it.I cant find nothing on this plant other then it is part of the cactus family. can some one help me?
  • Correction
    Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com) from NY on 2002-04-14 16:08:22

I mistakenly titled my previous reply as Living Stones. It should have been Living Rocks. These are two similar plants, but different species. Sorry about any confusion.

Quoting Diana: ------------
    -I have a plant called the livingrock
    -dont have much to go on to take care of it.I cant find nothing on this plant other then it is part of the cactus family. can some one help me?

Will Creed

• Living stones
    Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com) from NY on 2002-04-14 16:05:37

Hi Diana,

Living rock's botanical name is Pleiospilos. Keep yours in a sunny window all year round. From May until September, water thoroughly only when the soil is dry (usually every 2 to 4 weeks) and fertilize every eight weeks at half strength.

From September through April, stop watering and fertilizing altogether and keep your plant in a sunny, but cool (40 to 55 degrees) location. If you cannot provide cool temps, then you will have to water every 4 to 6 weeks in winter.

Keep water off of the "rocks" to prevent brown patches from developing on them.

Avoid overwatering at all costs. Keep them in the same pot indefinitely because repotting may lead to overwatering.

The cool, winter dormant period will help trigger flowers in the late summer or early fall.

Quoting Diana: ------------
    -I have a plant called the livingrock
    -dont have much to go on to take care of it.I cant find nothing on this plant other then it is part of the cactus family. can some one help me?

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —