Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Help! Does anyone know this tomato?

Help! Does anyone know this tomato?
Posted by Amy (sam.amy@worldnet.att.net) from Washington on 2002-04-12 00:11:40

I am a new gardener and am trying to find out the name of these great cherry tomatoes my dad had growing in his garden, he doesn't know what kind they are. But they were little orange and red colored with kind of thick skin. They were only a little larger than a marble and would split when they got much larger. But they we so sweet and tangy. I had to drag my son away from the bushes. But if anyone has any suggestions I would love it. Thanks!
  • Tiny tomato
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-12 07:14:11

Quoting Amy: ------------
    -I am a new gardener and am trying to find out the name of these great cherry tomatoes my dad had growing in his garden, he doesn't know what kind they are. But they were little orange and red colored with kind of thick skin. They were only a little larger than a marble and would split when they got much larger. But they we so sweet and tangy. I had to drag my son away from the bushes. But if anyone has any suggestions I would love it. Thanks!

Being that small, I suspect that they were some kind of currant tomato. There's a web site called Totally Tomato. Maybe you could find them there. I do know that there are mini or cherry tomatoes called 'sweet million' that are wonderful but they are red. I think the ones you are looking for are different though. They have several very small ones that are different colors.

http://www.totallytomato.com/

I will say that I find this site very difficult to read as the print is sooo small. I did write them and hopefully they will fix it.

There is also another wonderful grower called Johnny's Selected Seeds. They have all kinds of tomatoes and you could have a look around here.
    http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/hgindex.html?source=

If you still can't find them, there is a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have forums on just about any topic you can think of. There's 'New to Gardening' and 'Growing Tomatoes' as well as many others you might find interesting. I would suggest that you post this question on the tomato forum. I am including a link you can click on for their main forums page.

My mouth was watering as you described your son. :-)

Newt

The Garden Web Forums

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —