Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Grapes

Grapes
Posted by Barb from Ohio/5 on 2002-04-09 10:33:50

I moved into a house that has a grapevine 2 years ago. Both years I sprayed them, but they got what appears to me to probably be black rot, so I have never actually got any gapes either year. What is the best kind of spray to use? I also have an apple tree, so if I can use the same thing for it , that would be a plus. Thanks.
  • Grapes
    Posted by Shirley from OH/5 on 2002-04-17 09:14:00

Hi Barb,
    Are you sure they are grape vines and not a wild grape of some kind? Concord or something else?
    I would start with a good clean up of the area. Clean the ground of all old grapes and leaves. Then, when the ground is warm enough put down a protective layer of mulch. It's late, but you can still prune the vine back to a single upright vine and remove all the pruned wood. Give it two years to produce some good grapes and keep the area clean and the vine pruned. Grapes produce on year old wood so learn how to prune correctly. Good Luck
  • Grapes
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-04-14 07:45:58

What did you spray them with?
    When did you spray them?
    Something resembling "black rot" will affect grapes it they are sprayed with the wrong "stuff" at the wrong time.
  • Grapes
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-12 15:02:36

Quoting Barb: ------------
    -I moved into a house that has a grapevine 2 years ago. Both years I sprayed them, but they got what appears to me to probably be black rot, so I have never actually got any gapes either year. What is the best kind of spray to use? I also have an apple tree, so if I can use the same thing for it , that would be a plus. Thanks.

I am not at all knowledgeable about grapes, though it sounds like a fungal infection. I would suggest you post this on a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have forums on just about any topic you can think of. Here is a link to their main forums page. Try the 'Fruit and Orchards', 'Pests and Diseases' or even 'Organic Gardening' for a safe way to deal with the problem for an edible.

Do be sure if you post the same question on more than one forum that you change the title so that the computer doesn't think you are spamming. For example you could title it "Grape Rot?" on one and "What's with my grapes?" on another.

Good luck,
    Newt

Garden Web Forums

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —